Naturally water mains and sewers precede street pavements in the evolution of urban construction. Oshawa was no exception to this general rule. Unless one had the fortune or misfortune to have lived in the town previous to the year 1911, it would be next to impossible to give a clear conception of the state of our principal highways at certain periods of the year. A “sea of mud” from six to eight inches deep, flowing like a tide of water before each passing vehicle, the subsoil consisting of swamp loam, it was impossible for any ordinary road metal to hold up even during a single season. While excavating for water mains, the gravel recently placed upon the surface was found at places four feet under the ground. During the mayoralty of Mr. Sinclair, 1911, the first permanent pavement was introduced, but largely confined to the main blocks. Since then it has been gradually extended.
> > Street Pavements