Frederick Luther Fowke was born in the Harmony settlement of East Whitby May 27th, 1857.
His father, Job Wilson Fowke, was born in Port Hope, where he early in his career, followed a mercantile life, and like so many original merchants in Canada once owned and operated a distillery. The mother of F. L. Fowke was a sister of the Hon. Marshal B. Stone, at one time a Member of the Legislature of the State of Minnesota. The business activities of Mr. Fowke during the years from 1885 to 1915 spread into many fields. He succeeded to the business enterprises of his father, and carried on a general store; a grain business ; and a coal business; not only in Oshawa, but had branches in Bowmanville, Whitby, Newcastle and Port Hope. For nine years he occupied the position of Mayor of Oshawa from 1898 to 1907. While occupying this position he introduced many progressive reforms, such as Granolothic sidewalks, harbor improvements, and sewer construction, but when measured by the standard of lasting benefit to the people, it must be conceded that the persistent struggle put forth by Mr. Fowke for a public supply of water, will always stand as his best municipal work. He was elected to represent South Ontario in the House of Commons, October 28th, 1908, but at the General Eelction, September 21st, 1911, he was defeated, upon the question of Reciprocity with the United States of America. During the formation and election of the Union Government in 1917, he was among the many Liberals who refused to follow Sir Wilfrid Laurier, and gave a strenuous and hearty support to the principles enunciated by Sir Robert Borden. Early in 1918 he was honored by the Government of the day, by being appointed one, of three, Commissioners to restore that part of the city of Halifax which had been destroyed by a terrible explosion from a boat in the harbor which had been carrying high explosive material for the British Government during the war. Since the date of this appointment Mr. Fowke has resided abroad, to a large extent, but no doubt retains a lively interest in the affairs of the old town.