The proprietor of the well-known hardware business, Mr. George Allen, is one of the successful and self-made men whom Burlington is proud to own as her sons. In the year 1843 in the little village of Wellington Square, as it was then called, Mr. Allen first saw the light of day. Being thrifty and energetic he was able in 1866 to lay the foundations of the splendid business of the present, in which he enjoys both the patronage and confidence of a multitude of customers and friends. When he began business his brother John was associated with him as partner ; in 1875 the partnership was dissolved and Mr. George Allen continued the business with untiring zeal. From time to time, different lines of hardware were added to the stock of stoves and tinware till the establishment has reached its present excellent equipment. For fuel also the good people of Burlington often resort to the same place, as Mr. Allen has for some years past carried on a most successful coal and wood business. In patent crimp conductor elbows he does a large wholesale trade, shipping his elbows to various parts of Canada. In the spring of 1901 Mr. Allen sold out the tinware and stove department of his business to his nephew, Mr. James S. Allen, and now continues the hardware business together with the coal and wood trade, at the old stand, with the same enthusiasm as of old and exhibiting the same genial spirit which has won him so many friends.
Our esteemed citizen never longed for civic or political honors ; however, he has served with acceptance as village councillor. The secret of Mr. Allen’s success is geniality, diligence and progress.