Oshawa, Ontario – Early Oshawa

In the year 1842, the place now known as the town of Oshawa was composed of a few scattered houses, two hotels, and three general stores. The principal store was conducted by Edward Skea, a Scotchman from the town of Leith who had entered into partnership with a fellow-countryman by the name of MacDonald, and […]

Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan – The Coming Of The Indians

In this history of Sault Sainte-Marie it is the intention to lay the foundations by relating the traditions of its first Indian inhabitants. That at least one other race overran this country before the advent of Ah-anish in-ab-ug,* there can be no doubt. From time to time there have been unearthed the copper tools of […]

Oshawa, Ontario – Water Works

The public water supply was installed during the mayoralty of F. L. Fowke, in 1904, under a commission consisting of W. F. Cowan, chairman; Robt. McLaughlin, Robert McCaw and Dr. T. E. Kaiser; Mr. Willis Chipman, Toronto, was the engineer, and W. J. McKnight, the contractor; original cost, $135,000. Since its installation many additions and […]

Oshawa, Ontario – The Warrens

Nicholas Flood Davin in his “Irishmen in Canada,” P. 287-294 says : “I am now about to speak of one of the most interesting episodes in the history of emigration” an episode which can only find a parallel in another little Irish quasi-aristocratic exodus, an account of which will be given in another chapter. From […]

Oshawa, Ontario – Street Pavements

Naturally water mains and sewers precede street pavements in the evolution of urban construction. Oshawa was no exception to this general rule. Unless one had the fortune or misfortune to have lived in the town previous to the year 1911, it would be next to impossible to give a clear conception of the state of […]

Oshawa, Ontario – The Hospital

It is fair to presume that even in the day of Dr. McGill and Dr. Rae, the medical fraternity began to have dreams of a hospital for the town of Oshawa. In 1895 the matter began to assume proportions of public discussion. In 1899 Mr. John Cowan made a proposal to the County of Ontario […]

Oshawa, Ontario – The Thirty Club

A Social Club, The Thirty Club, was organized in 1892 through the efforts of Dr. D. S. Hoig, Larry Maxwell, and Dr. Kaiser ; with an original membership, in addition to these gentlemen, of J. P. Owens, P. H. Penshon, A. Hinds, John Tamblyn, Wm. Lauchland, Father Jeffcott, G. Beck, Robt. McCaw, R. C. Babbott, […]

Oshawa, Ontario – War Effort

During the year 1912, General Samuel Hughes, Minister of Militia and Defense for Canada, agreed to place in the Dominion estimates a sum of money towards erecting an Armoury in Oshawa. Dr. Kaiser and Col. J. F. Grierson were appointed to select a site, and immediately secured options upon the property now occupied for the […]

Oshawa, Ontario – Who Owned The Farms In East And West Whitby

On the shelves of the Ontario Historical Association, Normal School building, Toronto, there is a most interesting old book, entitled Warton’s Directory for the year 1836. The author, a member of this Association, has compiled from this directory the following list of names, giving the number of the lot and the concession upon which these […]

Oshawa, Ontario – The Canada Directory

—A flourishing incorporated village in the Township of Whitby and County of Ontario, 2 1/2 miles from Sydenham Harbor, on Lake Ontario. A large business is done in the produce of the country, and the place is especially celebrated for flour of a very superior brand. Several large factories also have been established, particularly the […]