We have much pleasure in introducing our subscribers to Burlington’s Planing Mill and Lumber Yard, operated by James Harrison.
This business was opened up in February, 1899, after the destruction by fire of the Coleman Lumber Company’s Mill, of which company Mr. Harrison was secretary-treasurer. The mill and yards are well situated on Brant street, just at the head of Ontario street, and extend back the entire block, with entrances to both front and rear.
At the time of our visit the yards contained a large stock of various kinds of lumber, shingles, laths, posts, doors, sash, blinds, flooring, novelty siding, beaded matching, many kinds of mouldings, .and a well-assorted stock of pine, hemlock, etc. The planing mill is built at the rear of the premises, and is fitted throughout with new machinery of the most improved make, and is operated by electric power from Niagara Falls.
Mr. Harrison reports a steady increasing trade, and amongst his customers may be mentionedThe Grand Trunk Railway Company, The Cataract Power Company, The Dominion Government for Canal and Harbor Timber, Saltfleet Township Council, Burlington Village -Council, Nelson Township Council, quite a number of builders and manufacturing concerns in Hamilton, also some of the best and closest buyers in Burlington, Waterdown, Oakville, Aldershot, Merton, Stoney Creek, Nelson, Appleby, Tansley, Lowville, Milton, Carlisle, Palermo, Flamboro’ Centre, Bronte, etc.
Another feature of this establishment is its ” Car Lot” trade. Special attention is paid to this department, and close quotations are readily given on any bill of lumber, shingles, etc.
During our travels in similar districts we have not come across a planing mill and lumber yard so well equipped and stocked as this one ; the machinery is run by a first-class machinist (Mr. A. Coates), and the yard work and shipping is well looked after by Mr. Samuel Dearing. We almost omitted to mention that a grain chopper is in operation daily.
A. B. Coleman, general contractor and lumber dealer, is an energetic, progressive, and rising man who has done much for Burlington. He commenced business as a contractor at eighteen years of age. A few years later he bought out the old planing mill on Ontario Street, which he operated successfully until his business demanded larger premises. In the winter of 1895 he built the large new mill on Ontario Street, which was, unfortunately, destroyed by fire on June 21st, 1898. In the winter of 1899 lie commenced to promote the Hotel Brant, and after a year of persevering effort succeeded in obtaining the necessary capital. The hotel was built the following year, and opened on July 2nd. Mr. Coleman has built a great many houses in Burlington, both for himself and others, as well as the greater part of the Beach. He has executed many large contracts in Ontario, and during the past summer has been engaged -on some large buildings in Toronto, Durham, Fort Erie and Low.