Burlington, Ontario – Burlington Horticultural Association

This Association was organized in March, 1889. It has a strong membership, which, although variable from year to year, always includes the representative fruit growers of the Burlington District.

Following are the officers for the current year, 1902: Geo. E. Fisher, Honorary President ; A. W. Peart, President ; J. S. Freeman, Vice-President ; W. F. W. Fisher, Sec’y.-Treasurer. Directors : 0. T. Springer, Geo. N. Peer, W. V. Hopkins, W. A. Emory, Arthur Peer, and Joseph Lindley.

Each director has supervision over some special department, the trend of which during the year he is expected to watch, and report upon fully at the annual meeting. There is a director on ” apples,” another on “pears,” a third on “peaches and grapes,” one on ” vegetables,” and so on through the list. By thus making some one person responsible more thorough work is done.

Then there are various standing committees, such as the Executive, composed of three members, whose duties are of a general character, and who, on occasion, are required to take prompt action. The present Executive comprises Alexander Riach, Thaddeus Ghent, and J. H. Gardiner.

H. T. Foster and E. W. Lewis constitute the Shipping Committee, which has supervision over transportation facilities both by land and water.

The President and Secretary are, by virtue of their office, the members of the Entertainment Committee. Their duty is to select competent persons to address the Association on subjects of particular interest. The Auditors for 1902 are Edwin Peart and E. W. Lewis.

Four regular meetings are held each year, one every quarter, and several special ones, as circumstances require. At the regular meetings, a specialist in some branch of the business is secured to introduce the subject, which is then very fully discussed by the members. All persons interested in horticulture are welcome to those meetings. The fee for membership is 25c. per annum, or, including the Canadian Horticulturist, $1. 00.

This Association is unique in its organization, depending entirely upon its own efforts for support, and receiving not a copper of public money from any source whatever. At the close of 1901 there was a balance on hand of $136.17.

The prime object in the formation of the Society was to increase the practical and scientific knowledge of the fruit grower in all matters relating to the fruit industry.

Since its organization the fruit acreage of the Burlington district has been doubled. It has shown our people that our climate, soil and shipping facilities are second to none in the Province of Ontario for the profitable growing of fruits. Not only the hardy fruits, but the tender species as well, such as peaches, grapes and the Kittatunny blackberry may be successfully raised here.