The appearance of and condition in which this farm is kept caused visitors to name it ” Bonnie Place.” Rows of poplar, catalpa, maple and spruce trees outline this farm of over 80 acres. The large single and double horse loads of fruit leaving Bonnie Place, from early strawberries to winter apples, tell of the wonderful fertility of the soil. 15,000 apple, pear, plum, peach trees and currant bushes have assisted the owner to exchange the old frame buildings for the present ones. The two-storey fruit house, 25×50, is in the rear of the barn seen in cut ; all are roofed with galvanized metal and have the latest ideas in stable arrangements and cement floors.
The house, built in 1901, is heated with hot water furnace and radiators throughout. The main rooms are finished in chestnut, being natural wood especially prepared to show graining. A large, lead-lined tank supplies the complete plumbing system, giving hot and cold water in three stories. There is a laundry fitted with permanent tubs and convenient taps, also an attic finished for children’s play room. The entrance roadway is dug out 14 inches, laid with flat stones in bottom and along sides, then filled with stones and graded with gravel.
Bonnie Place is known for its peach orchards, and is famed for its shrubs and flowers, which are under Mrs. Hopkins’ special care.